CANNOLI FILLING WITH RICOTA CHEESE
YIELD: Approx 16 mini shells
* 1 pound ricotta cheese
* 1/4 cup cornstarch
NOTE: I need a bit more cornstarch. I use 2% or non-fat milk due to my high cholesterol. I'd advise whole milk if you are not on any health restrictions.
* 1 1/3 cups milk (WHOLE milk if you can - otherwise improvise and use more cornstarch)
* 1/2 cups sugar (I use powdered)
* 1/2 tsp almond extract
* 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
* 1/4 tsp cinnamon (This is optional - my kids actually hope I DON'T add it!---BUT I usually do! :-) )
* In a bowl, slowly whisk 1 cup of the milk into the cornstarch until it becomes smooth.
Let sit about 20 minutes.
* Put mixture into sauce pan and add the remaining milk and sugar to the milk-starch. Stir over a low heat until it is thick and smooth. Remove from heat.
* Stir in the almond and vanilla extracts.
Place a piece of plastic wrap on the surface of the filling to avoid "skin" (you know that gross stuff)
* Wait for mixture to come to room temperature. Find something to do in that time, but it does need to cool.
* AFTER the mixture is at room temperature - THEN add the ricotta cheese and cinnamon to the cornstarch.
Pipe the filling into cannoli shells.
©2014 Puncher.Websnug. All Rights Reserved.
Website created by Websnug Studios